Searching to feel loved

As far back as I can remember, I have been searching for external validation that I’m loved. 

I have this memory of when I was like 10-12 years old.  I remember being home in the evenings with my brothers until dark, waiting on mom and dad to arrive from the work day.  My brothers would tease me and tell me I was adopted, and I wasn’t loved.  They would convince me this is why I was the only one in the family who had red hair.  I believed them.  Not knowing how to deal with what I was feeling, I would run away.  

Our family dog was kept on a runner out in the woods just past our backyard.  Her doghouse was at the very end of the runner, farthest from the house.  This is where I would go and sit by myself waiting on someone to come looking for me.  Searching for validation that I was loved.  “If they love me they will come find me” I would think.  

I would sit out there for hours, waiting.  I don’t remember if anyone ever found me, but I do remember hearing them come outside and call my name before retreating back into the house.   While I sat outside, I would validate to myself how unloved I was.  How, ‘if they really loved me they would…’.   I would compare myself to ‘lovable’ people in my head.  

I could see the house from where I was, and I would watch and listen to life carry on inside my childhood home…I don’t recall that there was panic or noticeable concern that I was gone.  My family carried on with their evening…prepping dinner, chores, conversing.  

My distorted thought: panic + noticeable concern = love 

As it got dark, the coyotes would start howling and I would feel scared.  This led me to abandon my search to feel loved and make my way back to the house.  I didn’t want to die…lol

I would feel ashamed, embarrassed and scared to face the consequences of running away.  Sometimes, upon my return my parents didn’t even mention I was gone.  Like it was just a normal part of the day.  So, no processing of what I was going through happened.  Heaven knows I didn’t have the skills, awareness or courage to be vulnerable about what I was feeling.  

I don’t ever remember getting in trouble for this…life would just continue on.  My family felt secure that I would return.  I processed this as lack of care.  Interesting….šŸ§ 

What was it I was searching for?  Attention?  Maybe.. 

I talked with my mom about this memory and gratefully she was willing to share her memories without any shame or guilt.  Just open conversation. She has strength I admire in this gift. 

Mom recalled that I would often go find somewhere to be alone when I was pouting, so great concern wasn’t usually felt.  I always came back.  

Until, the one night I left a note that I knew I was adopted and unloved, and I was leaving.   That night, mom said I didn’t return like normal.  She recalled that when her and dad arrived home that night, my brothers started giggling when asked where I was.  They shared that they had been teasing me, and I left.  My parents found the note I left and my family became genuinely concerned.  I had been gone much longer than usual.  They ALL went searching. 

I still struggle with the desire to have others validate my worth and lovable qualities.  Desperately seeking at times to feel the warmth of security that I am loved and wanted.  

While it feels good to feel external validation, I am working to find it within myself first.  To detach from my anxious attachment and lean into security.  To retrain my brain to trust that the people I choose in my life aren’t going to abandon me.  

Most importantly, I am working to trust that I won’t abandon myself.  

This memory has been eye opening.  I feel like healing is an arms reach away…I can almost touch it.  šŸ’•

Keep going girl…you’re worth it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walking into the warmth of tomorrow

Radical acceptance

At my Best